Sunday, November 13, 2011

Vegan Butternut Squash Enchiladas

I have been obsessed with butternut squash this season! Between my two pumpkin shakes a day, and all the squash and sweet potato fries I've consumed since the temps have dropped into the double digits, (Arizona fall) I can't believe I haven't turned orange yet. Oh well, I'm sure it'll come sometime before Thanksgiving!
This is so yummy!! And easy peasy.
So that's two plusses.
Now you have no excuse.
You need to make these!

1 Med Butternut squash cubed up (go to Costco and buy it pre-cubed!)
8 Flour tortillas (we go burrito size on these - also from Costco, the cook and eat ones)
1 can Black beans
1 cup Frozen Corn
1 med Onion
1/2 tsp. Garlic salt *
1/2 tsp. each Cinnamon and Nutmeg
1 tsp. Cumin
1 can Hatch green enchilada sauce
Shredded Mozzarella (we used Rice cheese and it was fantastic!)

I start by spaying a sheet with non-stick spray, dump the butternut squash on them, and then liberally salt and pepper. Throw them in the oven at 375º for about 25 minutes while you prep the rest of the stuff.

Chop the onion and sauté in a skillet over med high heat until translucent. Add the beans and corn and warm up.

Cook your tortillas if you bought the cook and eat kind.

Pull your squash out of the oven and sprinkle with your spices.

*I just dump the spices in my hand and guess to how much I actually use, but I think you'll be safe with these approximations. ;)
Then mash the squash all up. Oh man, it'll smell soooo good!

Then pour some enchilada sauce at the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Take your tortillas, and spread a good amount of the squash in the middle of them, then a couple scoops of the bean/corn mixture. Roll up and place in the pan, and when finished, cover with the remaining enchilada sauce.

Bake in your 375º oven for 30 minutes, covering with cheese for the last five minutes.

Enjoy your healthy enchiladas.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Wish I lived by a costco! These look good!

Tara T said...

sounds interesting. I think I'll try them though. I'm intrigued to think how squash and green enchilada sauce will taste together.

and where do you get rice cheese? I'll be using real cheese, but just wondering

Monica said...

Im so impressed right now! ; )